Saturday, March 3, 2012

It is good to make friends!

   I can't believe I turned 18 weeks on Thursday! I have noticed minimal change in my belly so far, but I am getting really excited for my ultrasound, which is just around the corner! I am slightly nervous, just hoping they find a healthy baby in there, but know I we will love this baby no matter what! Brian still goes back and forth between thinking it is a boy or girl almost daily, but it will be so nice to know so when I talk to the baby I can start calling it "little girl" or "little boy" instead of "little one."

  Speaking of children, we unfortunately have a 5 month old in our ICU that was involved in a car accident. Right now he is a pretty sick little guy, but I think he will pull through and do well. He is, however, the cutest little thing you ever saw. I don't often think about work when I go home, but it is hard not to think about this little guy. Although it is awful to have to have kids involved in accidents, it has been so enjoyable working with him. Plus I get to give him lots of love!!!

  A cool thing happened today, I have been going back and forth between thinking I feel movement. A few times I am pretty sure I have felt a kick or two, but just general movement it has been hard to tell. A lot of people describe it as butterflies in your stomach, but I have not felt anything similar to that. I do feel more of a gas sensation and it is hard to know if it is really gas or if it is the baby. Well, today, Brian and I were listening to the heartbeat with my doppler and we heard a "thunk." At the same time I heard the "thunk," I felt that gas feeling. It was so neat to hear and feel it at the same time. I do notice that when I think I feel the baby move it is more at night or early in the morning. I can't wait to start feeling more distinct movements, it is so cool!

  So this is why it is good to make friends! I stayed and worked for the big bucks last night. I was able to pick my assignment and I thought I was setting myself up for cush night.....WRONG! By midnight my patient had to be re-intubated (a breathing tube put down the throat). Usually just the CRNA ( nurse anesthetist) comes up, but in addition, the anesthesiologist came up too. Now, keep that thought and let me explain. When I had my first appointment I had a few question because I have scoliosis (curving of the spine) I was wondering if that was going to cause any problems with delivery. The nurse practitioner did not think it would with the actual delivery, but would possibly be a problem receiving an epidural. My jaw about hit the floor. I applaud all the women who take on a natural child birth, but my birth plan is to come in and immediately ask for an epidural!!! Enough with all the pain bull crap!!!















The reason why an epidural may be difficult for me is due to the fact that the catheter has to go in between the vertebrae of  your back. If you look at the picture of  a normal spine vs. a scoliosis spine, it make finding the land mark a little bit more difficult. My scoliosis is not terrible, but enough where I had to wear a back brace as a child. This anesthesiologist was talking about putting a epidural in a pregnant lady that took 5 minutes, so I decided since we were on the topic that I would ask about myself. He was so nice! He had me bend over, felt my back and asked about my curve, etc. I told him I wasn't due until August 2nd and would most likely be delivering at Maple Grove, but he said that and epidural was "do-able." He took my name and told me to call him a few weeks before I deliver and he would make sure himself or the other docs who would be on would know about me and he would make sure that someone would be on "who could do it for me." Now, I know you can't plan when you go into labor, but as long as he knows the general time, he said that he would make sure I was taken care of. How nice is that?! Thank you doctor Montgomery!!!!

 The only thing that makes me worried is that I am a nervous nelly. I tend to, at times, think that I can jinx a situation. I wouldn't read ahead if weeks in my baby books because I am afraid that something will happen if I do. After I talked to the doctor about this, I got worried that I would somehow jinx the situation and something would go wrong, i.e. deliver premature, etc. I know most of you are rolling your eye and the biggest eye roller is my husband, but I just can't help myself. I am just getting so excited for this baby I don't want anything bad to happen. I already love this baby so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment