Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Half a year

I can't believe it, Paityn is half a year old - 6 whole months. It seems like just yesterday that she was born. Time really does fly! She has been a busy girl this past month! In the past month Paityn has slept through the night 3 times (we are working on that and that is an entirely different post!), learned to roll from her back to her tummy, and in the past week or so, learned to sit up on her own! It really didn't take her long to learn to sit up, she was a little unsteady for awhile, but then one day she did it. I do put a pillow down when I leave her just in case, but overall she does great! She still continues to roll over all the time. She is becoming more observant. She wants to see the world around her. She tries to reach for things she sees and sometimes get angry and/or frustrated when she can't get them. She LOVES to watch the animals play. The other day we took her over to Maija's house and she had so much fun watching her two little girls play! When she gets a little older and more on a schedule I hope to take her to Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) classes where she can see and play with other children her same age. I know it is not so much important now since she can't actually play with kids, but by the time she is a year I would like to have her going to some classes so she can get that socialization. 

  I took Paityn to the doctor on Monday for her well baby check up. We switched clinics to the partners in pediatrics in Brooklyn Park because it was closer to home. We did see a nurse practitioner who was really nice. Paityn is growing well. She is 27 inches long putting her at 75-90% of height. She was a whopping 17lb 12oz - making her 90% in the weight category! Everything checked out fine and she is a healthy girl. We did talk about sleep which I will make another post on someday. Currently, Paityn is getting up in the middle of the night (sometimes for up to 2 hours).....we feed her, but I think it is more to play. We talked about breaking the middle of the night feedings and adding some more solids to her diet. Before the appointment I was only feeding her oatmeal with some pears at night. The nurse practitioner recommended that she be up to at least two feedings a day.  For the last few days I have done oatmeal with or without fruit twice a day and one serving of sweet potatoes. They say to only introduce one new food every 3 days to make sure there is not a reaction. So far I am 1 for 1 - it was a score with the sweet potatoes. I have another day before I can try another food group. I was a little worried because she has started to take less from the bottle. Before she was taking about 6 ounces every 4 hours. Now she is taking 4-5 ounces every 4 hours. I have tried to give he more bottle, but she just gets mad and starts to cry. I talked to the nurse about this and she said that with the more solids the less and less of the bottle she will take. That makes sense, but I was just worried she wasn't getting the nutrition she needed with less bottle. I need to try and worry less! (Being a nurse I get these crazy ideas like she is going to stop eating and will need a feeding tube). As I have been told by many different people, she will eat when she is hungry! 


Six months and so beautiful!



1 comment: