Saturday, November 12, 2011

Unexplained Infertility?

  I just didn't feel up to writing this post yesterday. Things have just not gone as planned. I knew that I was going in for a 2 day transfer and by all means, that was not the plan. I had a feeling that not all the eggs fertilized, but I was not ready for what I saw. Out of 10 eggs, only 2 were able to fertilize and one stopped growing leaving me with only one embryo in the early stages. We talked with the embryologist who said that the results of this IVF have explained a lot. Brian's sperm look good and so did my eggs, but for some reason the sperm is having a difficult time getting into the egg. The original way the do IVF is just lay the sperm over the eggs and usually the majority of the eggs do fertilize. The embryologist said since this "conventional" way is not very effective for us, they know next time to use a different method. The method she was talking about is ICIS. With ICIS they actually take one sperm and inject it into the egg. The reason they do not just do this in the beginning is because they like to have as little manipulation as possible. She said all this was very valuable information for her and it is an easy fix. The embryologist said I still have one embryo to try and to not give up on it yet. The reason she is doing the transfer so early is because she does not have to see which one is the strongest, there is only one, and there is no better place for the embryo than inside of mom. She said that this embryo is a fighter, to stay positive and if it does not work, we have a plan for next time.

 I was in tears the whole time. Everyone was very kind. My doctor told me I would not have wanted twins anyways, there is a no return policy :) (they usually transfer 2 embryos). There is no way of knowing if this embryo will implant and stick and there is no way of knowing if it will stop growing like the other one. I don't feel very confident, but I am going to try and stay positive. I would love this to be my little fighter! I am very glad we ended up doing the VIP plan....if this does not work we get 2 more tries, but I hope with all my heart that this little embryo will surpass the odds and grow into our strong, fighter child. I can tell you one thing, this child will be so loved by so many people...especially his/her mommy and daddy!!!!


This is a picture of a 2 cell embryo like mine                       This is a picture of the ICIS procedure
                                                                                                    (lets hope we don't have to go there!)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jackie, I'm so glad you have this blog. This is much easier than trying to get information 2nd hand!! I'm so proud of you for remaining strong through all of this. I am praying for your little fighter to persevere!! I love you both.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete