Thursday, November 10, 2011

Up and Down

 Yesterday was the big day, the day of the retrieval. I was to have nothing to eat or drink 6-8 hours before the procedure which was scheduled for 1:30pm. My husband, being concerned about my me...woke up at 5am to make me breakfast in bed even though I insisted I was okay.

 We arrived at the clinic at 12:30 and I got prepped for the procedure. IV placed, going over medical history etc. Brian did his "part" and then we waited in a room together. They have a closed circuit TV that allows you to see what the doctor was seeing so he was able to watch the follicles get removed. The procedure itself was not bad. They give you some sedation to take the edge off. I was awake the whole time, but in a good place. The doctor placed a vaginal ultrasound with a needle attached into the uterus and then extracts the follicles. Here is a picture that shows how it is done:


Once the eggs are extracted they are placed in a test tube, given to the lab and then placed in a petri dish. About 4 hours after the procedure they add the sperm and cross their fingers. Once the eggs are at the stage they want, they re-insert them with a catheter into the uterus.

   I left the clinic with a new medication plan in hopes of optimizing implantation and a goal of a 5 day transfer. My new medication plan includes estradiol pills three times a day, progesterone suppositories (in the vagina) three times a day, and a shot in the butt once a day. These medications are to continue until a negative pregnancy test or if positive, through 12 weeks of pregnancy. With the help of Brian and a co-worker who I owe big time, I will get the shots in my butt. As my co-worker said "that is a lot of shots in the ass!"

 So when I left yesterday I was told no news was good news, well today I got a phone call.......I knew right away something was not right. They were able to extract 10 eggs and although that seems a good number (the lady before me had 20) not all of them may have been "mature" and not all of them may have fertilized. I don't know all the details yet, but I was told my transfer date was moved up to Friday instead of Monday. For whatever reason, whether the egg quality is bad, or lack of eggs, they feel they will do better back in their "natural environment." With the goal being 5 days, I am very hesitant and sad. I thought this was our answer. Brian said, "that is why we chose the VIP (3 try plan) and I understand that, but it is very intensive and I am ready to be a mom. With that said, I am not going to get my hopes up, but try to remain positive. I know I have a lot of love and prayers being sent my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment