Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"The talk"

Brian and I had an appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist yesterday to have "the talk." The talk referrers to what are we going to do if the IUI procedures don't work. At this point, I have 3 left to try. There are many reasons that I would hope the IUI works. First and foremost, the cost. At this point, my insurance is paying for 80% if IUI which is very helpful!!! If were were to turn to invitro, insurance would pay for ZERO!!!! Invitro is also much more expensive. The other reason I want IUI to work is because I am selfish. I would really love to have more than one child (if possible). If IUI does not work, insurance will never pay for another go round. So in 3 years, if we decide we want to try it again, it is all on us. If IUI does work, then the insurance resets and will give you another 6 attempts to try and have another child. The doctor did sound optimistic and the percent of women < 35 that get pregnant with IUI is 65%. He said I am making eggs and meeting short term goals so he remains hopeful - that made us feel good!! He also said that this month of birth control was really good for me and it just helps me start fresh and sometimes actually produce healthier eggs when I go off of it.

We did talk invitro. Obviously if IUI does not work we will go for invitro. An average cycle of invitro with medications cost around $16,000. Luckily we have a savings account that would allow us to do this. Here is the selfish part, because it is so expensive, we only have the money to do it once. The success rate is 68% with a 60% chance of multiples. Also, if you have extra eggs, they can freeze them and that only costs $4500 to implant and that success rate is 40%. Again, I am really hoping we don't have to go this route, but if that is what has to happen we will do it and be ecstatic!

I know Brian and I felt relieved after talking to him and felt hopeful. We were originally going to do a different program for invitro, but he basically said it was a waste of money and told us to do research. Looks like if IUI does not work we would be doing invitro in Sept. or Nov. Here's to keeping the faith!

1 comment:

  1. I pray for you guys every night Jackie. those are good percentages hopefully! have a good Easter

    ReplyDelete